| From August 2010 |
In a sudden fit of encouragement while potty training months ago I promised August a new truck for *ahem* work product. At the time I thought all he needed was an incentive so the first thing that leapt to mind was a new car. It didn't work, he was back in diapers the next day but continued to ask for the new car. For the next week I had to repeat the terms of the deal, letting him know that I would absolutely deliver if and whenever he was ready.
Jump ahead to last night at dinner: There was a small piece of bread left on the plate in the center of the table. He hadn't touched his green beans (but had eaten saurkraut - I mean, reallly?) so I told him that he could have the bread if he tried his beans. He balked but eventually tried them (and liked them) so he got the bread. I delivered.
Now today I unfortunately and quite inadvertently turned down the toy aisle in the grocery store. I wasn't familiar with the store and had no idea the aisle would be stacked floor to ceiling with EVERYTHING HE EVER WANTED IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. I felt for him, really I did, who hasn't been there? But I couldn't buy him anything. Ohhhhhhhh how he cried. It was bad.
By the time we got home he was pretty much over it but was once again reletnlessly asking for a new car. I went back to the old potty deal and told him I would happily walk right out the front door the minute I heard a splash and buy him whichever brand new car he wanted. I assured him that I would absolutely deliver and reminded him of the green beans the night before. I had been wanting to start training again soon so I thought at the very least it might be a good opportunity open up the discussion.
We ate lunch and I tucked him into bed for his nap. He got up a couple times, ran around, back in bed, and up again. "Mommy, I have to potty."
I assumed he was stalling because honestly, he hasn't been on the potty for a couple of months. But I played along on the chance that this might start of a new round.
Down went the shorts, up he climbed and a few seconds later. SPLASH.
"I get a new truck now, Mommy please?"
Mommy was speechless. Close to tears (of joy!!!) and absolutely speechless.
Please meet the three-pack of Monster Truck Road Rippers that we immediately went out and bought then played with for well over an hour when we got home. I delivered and so did he. Done and done.
Is he potty trained? Well no not really, but we are a whole lot closer. YAY!!!!
Is he potty trained? Well no not really, but we are a whole lot closer. YAY!!!!
| From August 2010 |
| From August 2010 |
| From August 2010 |
| From August 2010 |
4 comments:
Hi Raquel,
I totally have to comment because I used the exact same tactic with Frankie. I know you are no supposed to bribe kids but it totally worked! We stayed home for 2-3 days, naked around the house and I stocked up on hot wheels. Everytime he hit the potty for number 2, he got a hot wheel, cheers, kisses, hugs, the works. He was thrilled and potty trained that week. Keep up the good work. Yay August!
Take care,
Angela
You have no idea how much better that makes me feel, Angela! I felt so bad promising the car months ago and not being able to give it to him when he didn't 'produce'. I think it haunted me more than him.
What magic powers do these little cars hold? Whatever it is, it's awesome. Maybe I should consider a car reward to get him fully trained. I mean he's aaaaaaalmost there!!!
Thanks!
: )
wow. i'm loving hearing these stories because we're going to be there very soon ourselves. cars don't do it for our little girl though. i haven't found that thing she loves just yet, but i'm sure she'll be letting us know soon... i was wondering just how in the world to even begin - good to know bargaining and bribery can make it work! way to go! (kudos to you and augie - you're both learning!!)
We used candy. Works cross gender. Cheaper, too, because three M&Ms cost next to nothing.
Also, don't forget to let him "water" the trees outside. It makes peeing fun. He is a boy.
I need you to take photos for my blog. That top one is incredible.
As for the writing? Amazing.
Post a Comment