| From August 2010 |
Ever since we got back from vacation Augie has been talking more and more like a little boy. Out of nowhere he seems to be speaking in more complete sentences, pretending with purpose and vision and able to articulate his thoughts quicker. He can tell us when he's grouchy, sad, mad, happy or just ok, when his shoes are too tight, when he's itchy or if he has an owie. He can tell us what, how and when he'd like to eat and what he'd like to wear. He's also started being a little stinker purposefully crying on demand and putting on his sour lemon face to try and get what he wants.
The other night in the bathtub I told him that it was time to get out and he put on his pout lips (I have yet to get a picture but trust me they are crazy) even though this was the same child who twenty minutes before wanted absolutely nothing to do with his nightly bath (he secretly loves the bath it's fact that it's almost time for bed that he dislikes). I told him that he could pout all he wants but it won't work and that bath is over (he was trés raisin-y!). So he sits there for a several minutes with his big pout lips on playing with his toy and then slowly he cocks his head, looks up at me slyly and with a curled grin says, "It's wooooooooorking!" Can you believe this? It's working - like, my pouting is working buying me extra time in the tub. And it was! It was working! He was in the tub and I was sitting there watching him. Dude! I told Kris that we need to watch out corners because he's coming at us from all new angles.
I even had to pull rank on him last night. Again, he usually loves brushing his teeth but last night for the second night in a row he tight-lipped me. I tried making it a game, I tried coming back to it later, I tried taking away bath toys, I tried letting him do it while looking in a magnifying mirror but nothing worked. Not wanting this be a new habit in the making I decided to call in back-up, a trick I have used maybe three times. When Kris got to the bathroom I very seriously told him the situation. Kris asked Augie if all this was true and he shook his head yes. "Well then you need to open your mouth and brush your teeth like your mother asked." And with that the clam sprung open. Kris turned and left and Augie let me brush his teeth for about an hour, his tongue too.
| From August 2010 |
People say as kids get older parenting gets more and more complicated, and as this new person is emerging I'm starting to see those new challenges. Basically, I have no idea what's going on. I try things, he tries things and we're all learning together. He's growing up and even though there is more conflict there are also so many more fun things we can do together. In Home Depot while waiting for our paint samples we went over to check out the model kitchens. He would run into one of the set-ups, turn around in a circle while holding his hands up and say, "Ohhhhhh, Mommy - LOOK AT THIS!" I cracked up and so did everyone around us. He started opening drawers and cabinets, peeking in oven windows and sticking his head in refrigerators all with a "Hohohooooooooo....that's nice!" like he was a contractor with a shrewd eye for both bargains and quality. In the rug section he fanned out every single sample for me while I stood there pretending to seriously size each one up, tapping my foot, furrowing my brow, hand on my hip. He rode the tractors, turning the wheel and checking out all the features. He got lost behind the pre-fab counter tops and all I could do was call out for him until he finally made his way back towards the light with a "Pheew!". In the power tools department he told the salesman that he would like to buy a saw. Really? He even helped me get a lamp that was shoved way in the back on the lower shelf that I wanted to look at - he just fit so nicely and was so happy to help. Trust me when I say Home Depot has never been so much fun.
Yep, little guy is growing up and I think I love it, pout lips and all.
| From August 2010 |
4 comments:
Thank you so much for the stories, they were great! I love that little munchkin!!
Aunty Carla
Hello Again,
August is soo cute and sounds like quite the character! They do grow up so fast but do so many amazing things in the process. I wish I could tape record everyday since little ones say the funniest things. I try to remember them all but forget. I was so sad when Frankie lost his baby smell. No he smells like a stinky little boy but he is still sweet, funny and silly! :)
Take care,
Angela
This is a very cute post - I loved reading every word. You sucked me right in. How nice to have your own personal Home Depot helper, sometimes there is not any one on the sales floor when you need them!
XO - Katie
Aw. he's growing up. amazing how they become more complex - sometimes by leaps and bounds - and sometimes it sneaks up on us and they surprise us with their unique personalities. i love hearing how he's becoming this little person.
nice that the conversation worked for the toothbrushing. little miss *hates* it. actually screamed with big fat tears rolling down her cheeks at the dentist - and when we try to brush her teeth every night the same battle. 'here we go round the mulberry bush' helps a little, but she still only grudgingly lets us... too cute about the bath bargaining... and him realizing he's getting away with things. they're so clever and adept at finding those loopholes! keeps us on our toes :)
Post a Comment