Sunday, July 25, 2010

HR QuiltinStuff

I've been busy quilting and doing various other things so my posts have dropped off like a stone. Don't get me wrong, it's not like there's nothing going on, more so that there's almost too much. So here are the two quilts that I finally finished and mailed off. The first one is a birthday beach blanket for my sister which she will hopefully take out to Horseneck very soon. The other is a baby blanket for our cousins Nic and Todd who just had their first daughter named Aurora Rose. It just so happened that I backed the baby blanket with flannel roses. How serendipitous : )


From Quilts


From Quilts


From Quilts

From July


From Quilts


From Quilts


From Quilts

6 comments:

The Maltese Kat said...

OMG - Raquel - these are incredible! I super love the beach blanket and the baby blanket is adorable.
You have a great eye for color and print combinations.
Wish you lived closer, I would love to bring my machine over and have you give me some tips on making my first quilt.
Keep up the amazing work, it is really inspiring me to do something with the fabric I have laying around here - oh, I need to take a photo of it, I remember that being mentioned a while back.
-Katie

The Maltese Kat said...

I have a question...
Do you put the presser foot up to quilt wavy lines with your machine or did you do that by hand?
I know it can be done on the machine, but I don't know how..?

Raquel said...

Hi Katie, thanks for the encouragement. For the wavy lines I just moved the quilt back and forth with my walking foot attached. It's about as close as I can get to free motion quilting without a free motion foot and a lot of practice doing it. I'm happy I decided to put the waves in, I was afraid they would look terrible and I'd have to pick them all out, but actually they helped give a lot more dimension. Anyways, I gave myself the freedom to try something new because I knew it was just going to be a fun blanket to lay in the sand.

pomegranate seed said...

hello beautiful quilts. LOVE them (even though i'm purple-phobic, i can appreciate the purple one) - and another aurora? ah, i had thought we had a unique name... that blue one with the wavy lines that are repeated in the wavy patterns is GORGEOUS. thank you for sharing!!!

Raquel said...

Thanks Sara : ) I have to admit, I do love purple right now (a little less than an eight year old girl but a little more than I'm truly comfortable with), but actually that baby blanket is bordered in a denim blue print over pink which with the yellow light, makes it look purple. I'm with you right now, loving dreamy blues and greens.

But yeah, another Aurora, can you believe it? I love the name and if I had a girl it would be high on the list. I was at the playground about a year ago and there were FIVE - YES FIVE (if you include the one just about to be born) - Augusts. I mean honestly...

Anonymous said...

I adore my beach blanket, it is so beautiful!! It's been hella hot up here lately and I think I may be making a trip to Horseneck Beach this weekend. I'll have to make sure my beach buddy Julie comes with me so that no one steals my retro chic quilt while I'm in the drink jumping waves! She is going to be soooo J! Be sure to thank August for giving the blanket a test run for me, too bad he didn't come with it!

The baby quilt is really pretty, the patterns in the stars kind of remind me of the insides of those paperweights, you know, the ones with the swirlies and stuff in them, very nice!

Thanks Again, the quilt means a lot to me!!

Aunty Carla