Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fruit of the Loom


From July


We started potty training last week and things have been pretty good so far. We went straight to cotton training underpants and just keep checking and re-checking often to see if he has to go. His preschool has been great and they are solidly on-board. So far no drama, in fact he seems rather unfazed by it all. It's going to take a while to get the whole show to come together, if you know what I mean, but for now we're having pretty good luck. 

Oh and funny thing - years ago, and I mean YEARS ago, there was an ad for Fruit of the Loom underwear in Rolling Stone. They attached a teeny tiny pair of their cotton briefs to the ad which August now has on his Super Grover. He keeps checking Grover for accidents and happily it's become a pretty good learning tool. Hopefully we'll be done with diapers soon! Hurray!

*UPDATE: So I wrote this post a few weeks ago when things were going great. Ah yes, the unabashed optimism of a first time mom. After two hard weeks, we gave up. I mean threw our hands up, shook our heads and GAVE UP in an exasperated heap of disappointment and confusion. We put the diapers back on him and said, ya know what, we're done here. He was really into it for a while but then he just lost interest and completely stopped trying. I've heard that with boys it can take a bit longer so for now we're just going to wait for the next opportunity to try again. 

4 comments:

pomegranate seed said...

oh gosh. potty training. i'm completely just putting it off. i mean she's only 18 months. do you know i met a mom who had her daughter potty trained at 3 months. NO JOKE. i saw her and her baby at a wedding, and the whole weekend she didn't have a single accident - she was 1 yr old at the time. of course this woman also made her own wedding dress and runs her own business, all while raising her toddler... but i digress. hey, kudos for trying! i hear often many kids don't even start training till 3 yrs old... it's a start!!!

pomegranate seed said...

oh, and how adorable is grover with underwear (umadare, as rory says)

Raquel said...

Yeah, he was ready to train, no doubt about it, but he just lost interest and started having accidents when he was doing anything more interesting (so like all the time). He's close though and I think we'll get it figured out soon.

Yeah, those EC'ers I don't know how they do it. Those moms are a different breed entirely. Where do they find their energy? Amazing really... It does go to show though that kids are capable of a lot more than we sometimes give them credit for. Have you read Nurture Shock yet?

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I always wondered where that teeny, tiny pair of droops came from!

--Aunty Carla