While driving to Honey Bee on Saturday to get safety pins I was able to catch a program on Latino USA interviewing Eduardo Galeano. I started listening because his accent sounded curiously like my father's. I kept listening because what he was saying was so thoughtful and interesting. Come to find out Mr.Galeano is in fact a journalist/essayist from Montevideo, same as my father, and about the same age too. The interview I was listening to can be found here. You have to wade through a few minutes of news first, but I highly recommend listening.
What I liked most was his thoughts on memories, his ideas on being and his thoughts of living in fear. He says he's "fascinated by reality and the magic hidden in reality and the electricity of life".
Maria Hinojosa: I forget so much. How do you remember so much?
Eduardo Galeano: I don't remember so much, don't believe it. I try to hear the voices of my own memory because we are living in a world more or less fueled by dictatorship of fear. And one of the fears is a fear to (not) remember, so I don't want to be a fearful man and I am not afraid of (not) remembering.
He says it would be stupid to die because he has so many stories to tell. I like that. The Open Veins of Latin America is one of his most famous books and Mirrors is his newest.
In any case, I still fear not remembering so I take pictures. I never want to forget this little guy's face as it is right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment