Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Snack Trap

From photo

From photo

From photo

Oh the line, the line, where are you? I try to give August three meals a day at his high chair (all ending with a delightful fruit course) and a few snacks here and there when I think he's hungry in between. I generally don't gratuitously sugar the boy and try to avoid placating him with a treat. From time to time I let him snack in the car and here and there he gets a cookie but the most part he is being raised on mostly whole foods, whole grains, milk, water, sunshine and love. I don't like letting him wander with food, nor do I let him dawdle with the food he is given. In short, I run a tight ship in the food department. Hmmmmm, let's all wonder why together, shall we? Yes, Mama's got broken copers and more issues than National Geographic.

That being said, his friends have "normal" moms that don't overly obsess over matters of nutrition and allow their children to eat as they please. These children are no different from August, are of normal weight and do not seem to run buck wild and/or rob banks. They are not contestants for The Biggest Loser: Baby Edition or fodder for Nanny 911, they are just kids and they eat snacks. However, because we have play dates and the other children are given cups of snacks to eat at their leisure August either whines & cries to get some of what their having or just outright thieves it. Now I know children's snacks show no ownership at this age and they all trade and steal freely, but August hasn't been bringing anything to the table to share. So does that make him a mooch? And since I would be the provider of snacks and don't, does that then make ME a mooch?

The thought of me and August being snack mooches has been weighing heavily on me lately (no pun intended, although pretty funny considering) and I've been thinking that not giving it to him may, in the long run, be worse for many reasons. So, I broke down and got him a blasted snack trap. It's a cup with a flabby lid that kids can get into but the snacks don't fall out of. I can't tell you how wonderful this little cup has been. My conscious is mooch-free, the boy is practically giddy and I'm feeling happy for my ability to give up a little control. I mean, I still put healthful snacks in his trap, but I am trying to trust the boy's metabolism and my good sense to not let things get crazy. Will I put fiddle faddle in his snack trap? Noooo... Little bite sized peanut butter cups and hershey kisses? Nooooo... Rum raisin ice cream with jimmies? Noooooooo... So then what? Will a half cup of molasses sweetened Puffins cereal really be his ticket to the Biggest Loser? Tell me no before I start hyperventilating into a paper bag.

No, it's cool. I'm fine. Really. It's good. Argggghhhh... No go on, tell me anyways.

2 comments:

David Petrie said...

Is it really 89 degrees there at 10 at night?

If so, give him the ice cream.

Do keep snacks and drinks out of the car. That's a slippery slope you'll never climb back up.

Jane said...

Geez. I am so glad you posted this! It is nice to hear someone is as obsessive about food as I am! I feel the SAME freaking way. I am starting to relax a little, but that is just because the other kids in his life have made me relax and realize he is going to get stuff that I dont approve of. Where did you find the trap? You LOVE it??? Oh, I am still laughing about that last video. Stinker.