Sunday, July 10, 2011

As the Tub Turns

Augie loves the bath. Augie hates the bath. It's just that simple. Most of my energy at night is spent gearing up for the fight to get him in the tub and, round two, the fight to get him out. Seriously. Once in, he's a carefree happy bather, a merry porpoise, a happily bobbing seahorse among sea sponges if you will.

His upset distills into a few basic categories: 1) not wanting to put down whatever he's doing to take the bath, 2) not wanting to get his hair washed, 3) not wanting or feeling ready to go to bed after bath. We've tried addressing these issues in myriad ways: setting timers, letting him choose which one of us gives the bath (talk about roulette...), showers vs. tubs vs. sprayer hose, letting him choose a fast bath vs. a slow bath, tub crayons, extra bubbly soap, boats, early bath, late bath and metering out consequences for his actions by taking away 'x'. All have had moderate success for a short period of time and then it's back to the drawing board to find another magic combination.

This time however, we've struck bath gold. Ladies and gentle reader, may I present ---- bubbly bath  with trucks. Oooooooooohhhhh!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!  Never in the history of bath has he ever, EVER asked to get into tub BEFORE dinner and then begged to take a long soak. But now, with the introduction of soothing aromatherapy bath bubbles along with the a steady stream of cars and trucks needing a car wash, we have reached bath nirvana - *for this week. 

*I'm an optimist working on cultivating realistic expectations.

From July 2011
From July 2011
From July 2011
From July 2011




2 comments:

pomegranate seed said...

oh my gosh - that's hilarious. we go through different phases with aurora too - though you know what works like a charm every time for us? tea party in the tub. yep. what a girl, right? seriously - these things must be genetically programmed or something. she just doesn't get into motor vehicles... but get that tea pot, cups and saucers out - and she'd sit in the bath for an hour! how do you do with hair washing? she hates it - screams, cries, it's awful. i make cam do it - we've tried goggles, a couple of those silly hats to prevent water in your eyes (she screams and rips them off) - so we (ok, cam) just do the quick pour a huge container of water over her head... because then at least it's over quickly - but what a drama. we only do it like once a week. sometimes now that it's winter and so darned cold even less frequently... anyway - love the bubbles in the dump trucks!

Raquel said...

To be fair I hated getting my hair washed when I was a kid too. From what I remember I was upset about water in my face and getting my hair tangles combed out. But Augie has a buzz cut so I think it's just the water in the face. We've tried having him hold a dry washcloth over his face and that seems to work a bit better. Oh and I always dry his whole head immediately after the rinse which again, seems to help a little.

But yeah, all that yowling and screaming is no fun and Kris and I were way over it. Especially since he's FINE once he's in the tub! Overall, he likes bath! So frustrating....

Funny thing though, last night Augie grabbed a handful of cars and said, "Ready for my bath!". He became upset when we told him it was too late and that we were going to skip bath. I could hear him in the bathroom talking to Kris, "But I'm sooooo stinky!" He REALLY wanted to play trucks in the tub. Why didn't I think of this before?