| From January 2011 |
| From January 2011 |
| From January 2011 |
We've been spending more time at the library perusing the shelves these days. Augie has a much longer attention span now and is really starting to grab on to the humor and language in books. My personal new favorite is 13 Words by Lemony Snicket with illustrations by Maira Kalman. It's a bit dark and reads like an intense MadLib but I really, really like it. It's probably a little beyond him at this point, but it still has lush colorful illustrations that are fun to look at and interesting words that are good to introduce at any age.
In fact, just checked out another Lemony Snicket book today, The Composer is Dead which sounds a little dark but is actually based on a murder mystery. I can't wait to read it! It's got a CD that comes with the book and introduces you to the orchestra and all it's parts. Oh, and the next one I have my eye on, The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming, A Christmas Story. To me, this Lemony Snicket character is like a David Sedaris for young people. Love it! But again, I think these might be more for my enjoyment.
The other books we've been having fun with are:
John Lithgow books (and music) - He has lots of titles and they are all really funny We just watched Buckaroo Bonzai the other night so it had me in a John Lithgow mood.
Drat that Fat Cat - Silly book, lots of rhyming/repetition. Sort of like the old lady who swallowed the fly. Augie loves it when the cat swallows the bumble bee : )
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats - Oh how I love these illustrations, the colors and texture are fantastic. Augie loves looking at the tracks in the snow. Wonderful book!
Swimmy by Leo Leonni - Again, the illustrations are outrageously gorgeous but the story is intense (although it has a wonderful message) and may not work with every kid.
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats - Oh how I love these illustrations, the colors and texture are fantastic. Augie loves looking at the tracks in the snow. Wonderful book!
Swimmy by Leo Leonni - Again, the illustrations are outrageously gorgeous but the story is intense (although it has a wonderful message) and may not work with every kid.
1 comment:
I was trying to remember what book I loved when I was little (aside from the Harriet Tubman Freedom Train book, ooohh I was obsessed with that book!) and I remember reading "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" by Judi and Ron Barrett over 100 times. The illustrations are awesome and it was a fun book. Take this endorsement with a grain of salt (hehe) afterall I've always been a 'foodie'.
--Carla a.k.a Aunty Carla
Post a Comment