You know that Tom Hanks movie, Big? Well, it's when I watch August move like this that I become painfully aware of being a grown-up. It reminds me just how important it is to live, to be happy and to move my body in ways that are just fun.
While I wouldn't call this a new year's resolution per se, I am going to try to be more mindful of choosing activities that make me stronger and give me joy more often. I love riding my bike and swimming - always have. What do you love to do?
We are also thinking about going ice skating this weekend at a nearby rink. This could end in concussions all around or hysterical fun (I'm still a mom after all). Maybe I should bring a pocketful of tiny corns to nibble on or a can of silly string if I start feeling stressed out. I'll keep my fingers crossed...
4 comments:
So wonderful to have you back.
One word: Helmet.
They're great for scooters, skating rinks, bikes, tricycles, and, if you read Peggy Rathburn, school hallways when people try to hang banners while standing on swivel chairs.
Isn't swivel a fun word?
I love the photos, as always, and just wish I could share them here and there (and maybe with the world).
What a great post, and please know that I missed you up here in this blogsphere.
I love dancing (ballet specifically), ice skating (hockey style)and horseback riding.
What a great decision to do things that make you stronger and bring you joy - I think ALL of us could use more of that in our lives.
I can't wait to hear of your skating adventure. Tim just learned a year ago and is pretty darn good now and he loves it. If you feel like you are going to fall, bend your knees and put your hands on them and keep them there until you regain your balance.
Have fun!!
xo - Katie
PS - have to agree with the above comment, a helmet is always good.
So this one got me thinking, what did I enjoy doing as a kid? Well, when I encountered a big hill I would automatically recognize the opportunity for a good roll. I used to see how much speed I could gain as I went barrelling down the hill with my arms in King Tut formation. As I was thinking about doing that now the first thing that came to mind is the disgusting possibility that I may roll over a pile of dog crap. How did this happen?
--Aunty Carla
David - Yep, got the helmet. Might take it ice skating with us. I like 'swivel' and 'puppet' too.
Katie - Thanks for the skating tip. I'm a flailer on the ice so I have no idea how I'm going to do this... I just need to remember to pee before I go because I can just see myself wetting my pants from laughing too hard.
We chickened out this week since it was too nice outside to freeze inside but maybe next weekend. They have free lessons at noon.
Auntie Carla - I know... all the reasons why I 'can't' do something jump to my mind first too. Funny how now I have to talk myself into doing things that used to be so effortless and fun. Old age...hurumph.
Post a Comment