Friday, June 25, 2010

Click Berry, Clack Berry, Buy Me a Blackberry


Grandma is in town for a few days so we thought it would be fun to go pick blackberries together at Sweet Berry Farm this afternoon. The first row was an over-picked dried up dud but the next one was bursting with fruit. Now, August loves blackberries - love, love, loves them - but he was so intent on gently picking the ripe ones, placing them in the basket and making sure not to get thorned on the brambles, that he actually forgot that they were edible. Soon enough though we were all eating them, so delicious. I can't get that Jamberry book out of my head though. I've been obsessively rhyming blackberry verses all afternoon and I'm driving myself crazy.

So what are we going to do with all of these berries? Blackberry gelato, and we can't wait. I just finished  up the custard base, cooked down the fruit and have the ice cream maker in the freezer. Tomorrow, it's GO time. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the last picture, it looks like August has a little goatee, lol.

-- Aunty Carla

Raquel said...

I know, I totally love that last picture too, but I take absolutely no credit, Marilyn was able to get that one for us : )