Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pinwheels

Another baby coming along, another quilt on the machine. This block is called a pinwheel block for obvious reasons, but it was supposed to be a friendship star. Of course being a Mac user, this block has sort of become the spinning wheel of death to me. Mac users, you know... The problem is that I stink at math and so even though I measure twice I still have to cut twice. It's becoming an issue. After I made all my triangles for the friendship star, I noticed my big fat error. Seam allowances are confusing for me...

So instead of re-cutting and re-purposing the mis-cut yardage I got inspired by a Gee's Bend quilt magnet on my refrigerator and just started making pinwheels instead. I need to make one more strip of happy little pinwheels and then I'll be ready to sew the top up.


From March

6 comments:

The Maltese Kat said...

I love it! It is going to be so cute! I have the Gee's Bend book at home and look at it all the time. I even started saving old clothes that I like the fabric of to make a quilt one day. Funny thing is, one day Tim was looking through my desk and asked me why I had his old J Crew boxers in there - they are a great striped material and the only thing wrong with them was the elastic wore out on the waist so I kept em! They are now in squares for a potential patchwork quilt.
My Mom, my friend Angela and I all went to see the Gee's Bend quilts when they were here at the DeYoung. Did you see them? It was before you moved to TX. It was awesome!
Anyway, sorry so long...
Good job and so inspiring!
-Katie

The Maltese Kat said...

One more thing...ever checked out Denyse Schmidt? I remember her being in Martha Stewart Magazine years ago and have her book at home - great quilts!
Check her out - she has a couple books on Amazon.
-Katie

Raquel said...

I love it, you have a stash of drawers in your drawers : ) That's just awesome! That really made me laugh Katie... but I'm with you, those J.Crew boxers have great patterns and colors. I have some fabric tucked away as well, pillowcases that are destined for new lives.

I've been lucky to catch the Gee's Bend quilts in both SF and Denver. August was with me for the Denver exhibit and he was mesmerized. Me too for that matter. Aren't they just beautiful? It helps me remember that perfection comes in lots of different forms.

And so funny you mention Denyse Schmidt, I have one of her books and was thinking of tackling the big zig zag for the next one. Her work is so clean, bold and graphic. Love, love, love it.

xo raquel

Jane said...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "Another baby on the way?????!!!!!" Did I freakin miss something?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raquel said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! Not ME, another FRIEND is having a baby! Poor sentence structure.... my apologies for the heart attack. ; )

pomegranate seed said...

hello beautiful quilt - i *love* that you repurposed those...and created something new - that's the creative spirit! i'm trying to make a doll for aurora and did the same - cut out the body, started to sew it, and realized i forgot about seam allowances - so it's a really skinny doll. oh well. these things happen :) i love the colors... look at you busy bee.