We watched this SNL short a few months ago and Kris just looked at me. We were both cracking up because it illustrates perfectly what I put him and everyone else through whenever we talk about movies - or anything that involves names or titles or having any shred of a human memory. I'm a bad one to have on your Trivial Pursuit team and even worse if I need give you directions. I'm especially bad at movies and when I do come up with a clue for you to rescue me with, it's almost a always a sliver of information so random, so mundane that you would literally have to have lived my life to get anything from it. I really wish I had one of these translators more than you will ever know.
So ok, I have a bad memory, hahahaha big deal, but then it took a turn... The other day I was trying to tell Kris that the last time I played a video game was about five years ago. I was trying to remember the name of it but in my head all I could see were blocks of houses and sidewalks. Grasping at straws and trying to come up with a clue for him to help me I said, "It's like Paperboy but everybody's getting beaten up, ya know?"
"Ohhhhh.....You mean Grand Theft Auto?"
"Yeahhhhh..THAT's IT!" I was so impressed with how quick he was able to put me out of my misery!
Then he says, "Joe Geronimo..."
And that's when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I laughed so hard I nearly wet my pants! Because there it was, the bold unadulterated truth. I am officially no longer "with it". I say "officially" because until I know, it's not official. YOU may have known a long, long time ago, but now that I'm on board, it's official.
I accept that if the difference between Paperboy (a video game where you get points for throwing the newspaper onto someone's stoop from your bike that you played twenty five years ago) and Grand Theft Auto (which is the exact opposite of Paperboy in so many colorful ways but is popular today - or maybe it isn't popular anymore, but I wouldn't know!) to me is so razor thin, then I am officially no longer "with it".
My clues have now turned into full fledged pop culture archeological digs. I am so behind that the closest I could get to throwing out a parallel reference, the absolute first thing I could think of, was already twenty five years old. And with that, dear friends, dear family, my slippery slide down the other side of the mountain has begun. Officially. What can I do?
Geronimooooooooooooooooooo.....!
Other things that are passing me by:
Lady Gaga, Twitter, Facebook, texting, Twilight
No comments:
Post a Comment