Monday, August 24, 2009

Falling in Love (and out of bed)

From Trucks


August is in looooooooooooooooooooooooooove with trucks and the things that move right now. While in Colorado Grandma & Grandapa let him ride on their tractor mower and the boy was about as close to Heaven as I'd like him to get just yet. Since then he's been banannas for tractors and cars and trucks that move. It was bad before, but now...well it's borderline obsessive. Kris and I like cars. I liked his Mustang, I liked my convertable BMW and I liked that Jaguar I rented for a day on my birthday (oh how I miss them all), but how does the boy have the bug at such a young age? Do girls go bonkers for trucks?

Today we were in Toys R' Us to get mister happy pants a bed rail for his 'big boy bed'. Lately he's been making me very nervous in the crib by putting his leg over the top bar with a little too much agility. It seemed to me that if he could do that, he's about a week away from a neck brace. I thought about putting him to bed in a helmet but decided that he might be more comfortable if I just put his crib mattress on the floor. And he WOULD be if he didn't fall off the mattress while he was sleeping. Nothing worse that falling onto the floor from six inches up. I suspect it doesn't hurt so much, it's just annoying. I had stuffed rolled up blankets under the fitted sheet to make about a 4-6 inch hill, thinking that the rolling might be a problem, but it didn't work. Today I decided that I would get him a meshy baby-keeper-inner-the-bedder and see if that worked.

Which brings us back to the trucks. I had to got to that blasted Toys R' Us to get the meshy baby keeper thing and on the way around the store he spotted these ride-ons. He would not go another inch until he sat in one. Have I told you about the tantrums yet? Oh yes, they're heeeeeeere. And boy are they LOUD. I let him go in the trucks, back and forth, back and forth until he had his fill and a half hour later we were on our way out. I just can't fight with him every time. I can't...

From Trucks


I put the rail thing together when we got home and let him try it out this afternoon. It actually looks like it will work perfectly (so very unlike my adventure in sippy cups). The only problem now is that he likes his new found freedom of being able to move about the room and not sleep. It took an hour and a half for him to go down this afternoon. School is definitely back in session and I am getting my butt kicked in Toddler 101. I feel like I need a smoke in the girl's room. Good grief...

Any advice (pick a topic...any topic) or encouraging success stories greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

E & S McCain said...

If he likes the trucks at Toys 'R Us, he should check out the ride on lawn mowers at Sears, Lowes, or Home Depot! It'll be like a free, indoor, air conditioned playground. Maeve has to get on and off each lawn mower and pulled around in any display wagons. Let the good times roll!