Monday, June 8, 2009

Two weeks!

From photo

We ( I say we because it feels like this is Augie's project too as he provides content, however I am the responsible party for content getting written) haven't blogged for two weeks and it seems that August has missed the camera dearly. When I pulled it out today he instantly broke out into an electric grin and posed. What a ham bone.

So why the long break? The long and short of it is that my camera batteries needed to be replaced (however I must admit that these have been a great investment. I've been using them since August was born and only now at nearly 10,000 photos and videos later are they starting to go to sleep.) and I slipped out of the habit of always having the camera in my hand. There were times I could have cried for missing perfect picture moments, but overall I think the break did us some good.

So what have we been up and what has changed in the past two weeks? Here's a short, although by no means complete list:
  • August has started growing his eye-teeth. refer to this post for what life has been like lately
  • August has had his first cherries, watermelon and cantaloupe and loves them all (even though he threw his watermelon on the floor this morning, I know it was just out of teething anger)
  • Still refuses to say Mama. I say it's out of spite, but Kris says the child doesn't know from spite yet. I will say mama, mama, mama, mama, mama and then he'll look right at me (with a curly grin - and THAT's where the spite comes in...) and say Dada. Honestly. Kris hates to admit it, but I think he does think it's a little funny. I mean.. it is a little funny.
  • Has started going vertical in a big way. Climbs on chairs, the bench seat, couch, bed and has added a whole new level to baby proofing. I left a pint glass of water on the side table to the couch along with my computer, remote and cell phone - you see where this is going already, yes? - and only until I heard the deafening splash on the wood floor and the subsequent rolling dripping waterfall sound as the water pooled (on aforementioned electronics) and rivered down the furniture did I know he was quite so agile. Ah, my boy.
  • August has discovered that he likes candy canes and so do I since it makes his breathe minty fresh. 
  • Bath time has become even MORE fun since it's become new and improved with more buckets for dumping and drinking. 
  • Has already been to several sprinkler parks and is happily working on a pretty deep dark farmer's tan.
  • Understands simple phrases and sentences like "Close the door.", "Where's your cup?", "Can you bring me your shoes?", "Mama's bottle needs an opener, it's not a twist-off."... you know, the usual. 
  • While at the park I scooped him up to give him some water and he kept pointing behind me and saying "Shoos, shoos, shoos!". I looked down at his foot and his shoe had gotten knocked off and he was actually telling me! WOW!!!
  • Has mastered slides and will happily go up and down, around and around a hundred times, each time seemingly more fun than the last.
  • Will now happily give kisses and wave bye-bye (as long as he's in the mood of course - he's not a show pony) and melt his mommy's heart. Even if he calls me Dada.


From photo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

August--looks like you had a great time at the museum! Tell Mommy thanks for the update--you are getting so big and doing so many new things--I'll bet by the time I see you again you're even saying Mama!!! :-)
Hugs to All
Grams and Gramps
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Petsura said...

Welcome back to blogland!
August is such a big boy now, wow!
Beautiful photos as usual.
Hugs to you all,
--Set

David Petrie said...

Amazing photos. Book worthy. But you're still a writer, Dada, and don't you forget it.

I was about to e-mail you my company's new booklet on "Blog Neglect." "Dead camera batteries" is listed as the sixth most common excuse (under "I lost my job and didn't want to tell anyone" in the number four slot and "I realized no one was reading it" as number five). I'm glad I didn't need to send it to you. The post is a worthy mea culpa to your fans.