Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'd Like to Solve the Puzzle



We've been having terrible problems trying to get Gus to eat at the table with us. The whining and crying have been so confusing. We'd give him a spoonful and then before he even swallowed it he'd be crying for more - or for something. He'd fidget and slide around in his chair, point and whimper at our plates, we'd sit him our laps speak in soft tones.... No dice.

Then of course lately he's been our little floor sweeper. Wetting his fingers and picking up and eating everything he can find.... under the dishwasher, by the garbage pail, in dark webby corners.... EW! So while yes, he's developing fine motor skills I don't really want a side of tuberculosis with that. And, as I've told Kris, I'm sure that's what's lurking under the dishwasher.

Finally, a few days ago, we put two and two together and filled his tray with various delicious foods and let him feed himself. VOILA! It worked! He drops food everywhere of course but he happily munches away on his slice of bread, cheese and banana. The cheerios fit oh so neatly on his fingertips and pop right into his mouth with a flick of his wrist.

So, while I was putting some food on his tray I was still trying to shove that infernal spoon in his mouth - and apparently the kid simply hates a spoon. Now, it's bliss city. He enjoys meals with us without crying and feeds himself a heap of food which should help fill out his scrappy frame as he embarks on learning his new skill - walking!

2 comments:

Jane said...

Awesome idea Rocky... I have heard that a bunch of choices on one plate is a good thing. Plus, when they feed themselves they are working on those fine motor skills. And, by the way, I love the new background for your blog. I may have to copy you and get a new background too!

Anonymous said...

August, what a big boy you are feeding yourself already!!! And Mommy's so wise to give you all those wonderful choices! Have fun exploring all the wonderful tastes, sights, smells and "FEEL" :-) of your culinary delicacies!!!
Love and Hugs,
Grams and Gramps
xoxoxoxoxoxxo