Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Workin' 9 to 5 - Progress Report



After my first quilt class on Saturday I was able to sew up my first 9-patch (er....or sumthin'). My teacher was, let's call it 'impressed' by the ability of my Hobby Pfaff to really sew (anything that is...). With a blinky light, faulty wiring, a tempermental presser foot, a wacky needle setting and wobbly spindle I'm lucky to even get a stitches from this machine. Not to mention the fact that I kept forgetting to engage the safety after I use my rotary cutter thereby "endangering not only myself, but the whole class". I'm a bad, bad apple and I'm rotten to the core!

Needle-less (that's quilting humor) to say, the idea of spending over $100 on additional suggested machine supplies such as, quarter inch feet, sharp needles (I thought they were ALL sharp? my bad...), a quilter's ruler, and holder (that looks like an old timey telephone - I had to keep holding myself back from picking up someone's quilt ruler and saying, "Ahhhhhhlo? No, she's not available right now. She's quilting her ass off!") was a lot less tempting. Apparently a piece of foamy tape and a ratty old T-square do just fine anyways.

And just a funny aside, but when you sew the squares together the instructor kept telling us to "Go towards the dark" as in sew your seems toward the darker fabric, but I kept thinking of that Poltergeist medium talking to Darth Vader. I think I have a really short attention span and an overactive 'childish' gene.

So here's my first square along with a picture of the finished wall hanging (so named 9 to 5 because of the squares) I'm supposed to have in 3 weeks. Wish me luck because apparently that's all I have going for me right now. (And yes, I did have a great time in the class even though you may not come to that conclusion on your own from all my ranting. I'm just a ranter...)

**** Apologies to VB for all of the gratuitous purple. Namasté, sister... *****

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, that's good stuff, to only be a fly on the wall.

Your square kicks ass! Rock on my Sista!

Carla

Vanessa said...

I think I'm ok with the purple because the post was so entertaining. I could just picture you. childish gene? Your brain is just busy, that's all.

spam my a@#

Jane said...

You truly are a rockstar! I love all the things you do. Can I be you for a day????

Anonymous said...

You're off and running, Raquel--looks wonderful--can't wait to see the finished product!!!
Hugs,
Marilyn
xoxoxoxoxo