Monday, August 11, 2008

Professor Puddles


I was walking to HEB yesterday afternoon to get Kris some charcoal and oak chips for his brisket smoking and came across this sweet little monkey in a pen outside of Petco. She's is probably about 10 pounds, sweet as candy and is was rescued from a kill shelter by CNC Rescue. I was so mesmerized by her that I had Kris and Fuzz go down with me later in the afternoon to meet her. Augie pulled on her face and ears and the pup just licked his feet and laid down. How's that for calm? I contacted the foster family to see if they'll let us take care of her for a couple of days. I don't know if we'll get her but with a face like that she makes the decision a lot harder. She is a pug mix - I'm not sure what she's mixed with though - maybe beagle? Does anyone have any thoughts on pugs or dog ownership in general?

As for the brisket, Kris smoked up a good one. He used a killer pleasantly rounded flavorful spicy rub and mopped the hell out of it all afternoon until it had a smoky black crust of tasty all over it. Unlike the Salt Lick that just serves sides of meat - like chicken - our sides were sweet corn, garlicky chard and a sweet carrot relish that I need to try and make myself. Anyone have any good ideas for sweet carrot relish in a vinegar brine? I'm clueless and hooked.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I can't help you with the sweet carrot relish I can attest to the joys of dog ownership! You know I love my Golden Roo, there's nothing quite like her sweet chicken breath (Kris, that ones for you). I think it would be great for the Fuzzard to have a little dog to grow up with. Awww, how can you deny the Fuzzby? Keep me posted!

Carla

Anonymous said...

I got so hung up on the dog I forgot to comment on the brisket. Here's my comment -- you better make that when I come to visit!!

Lord knows I love the crackelin's.

Carla

Anonymous said...

As a long-term dog owner (actually, at the end of a cycle as my beloved 14-year-old beagle quickly fades) I'll agree with Carla about the joys of dog ownership.

Things to remember:
1. Don't impulse shop. There's tons of info on breeds out there, so look it up and find one that is gentle and matches your lifestyle.

2. Buy any books by the Monks of New Skete before getting a dog. You won't find better books that detail the responsibilities of dog ownership. The Art of Raising a Puppy is a must read if you decide this is how you want to go and end up starting fresh, and How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend should be on every animal lover's bookshelf. Buy them now, even if you postpone this decision for a while.

3. Consider your constant travel plans. We're lucky to have friends who will dog sit. Kennels are expensive, plains are a nightmare, and dogs get depressed when loved ones are gone for a while.

I bring up number three because it seems like you guys keep traveling, traveling, traveling, and I hope to see you in Vermont again sooner than later.

David

Vanessa said...

Dogs yes! What David says is all true but they sure do add a lot to a household.

I'm thinking on that sweet carrot relish. Right up my alley. Who did make it? Can you describe? photograph? I wish I could taste it.