On our summer vacations up in Maine my father would get in a little rowboat in the middle of the night and go
Hornpouting to relax out on the quiet blue lake. He was catching the Northeast local version of catfish and I wouldn't go near them with a ten foot fishing pole. They were not especially attractive and at the time I was not a fish fan, especially after seeing them gutted and filleted. I was more of a chicken finger, plain noodles with butter, hamburger kind of girl.
Augie on the other hand sees these and says, "Mommy, can I eat one?" I don't know when he put together that a live fish can be food, but well there ya go. In fact he loves talking to lobsters and all manners of swimmers, asking them, "How are you doing today? Say hi to your mother for me."
I taught him that last bit for no reason except my own amusement. You can thank that Mark Wahlburg skit on SNL... so silly, I know.
Today we went to the Asian Market looking for a specific ingredient but didn't find it. Instead we ended up walking laps around this huge store looking at all the fish in the tanks and all the little jars, cans, tins and packages filled with interesting things. Funny enough though, when we got to the candy aisle he knew right away that there was sugar to be had. None of the packages were even faintly familiar, but where there's foil wrappers there's bound to be sugar. Same reason he thinks glazed hams are candy. He just sees the gold and red foil wrappers and a bell goes off - nevermind that they are fifteen pounds. The bigger the better right?
1 comment:
this post is hilarious, love the pavlovian response to foil covered foods! hey, and 2.99 is cheap for catfish! love the first pic too.
take care,
angela
Post a Comment