We went to a monster truck rally yesterday at the Alalmodome in San Antonio. It was our birthday surprise to the boy. We weren't sure how this was all going to go as we're not large event kind of people. I can count on one hand how many times I've been to a 'stadium' event (even if all I had was an over sized foam finger for a hand). Not knowing how the boy would react to sitting in a buzzing beehive for two hours we attempted to do this as cheaply as possible so that we could leave - potentially, as soon as we arrived, and not feel robbed.
We stopped at Jack in the Box by the railroad tracks for discount coupons (bonus train sighting) and challenged ourselves to find cheap close (i.e. less than one mile) parking in a city we had never been to. I packed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, goldfish crackers and raisins for snacks and we stopped at Walgreen's for a ValuePack bag of foam earplugs (we were in fact told several times under the overpass on our walk to the Alalmodome, that an individual set of earplugs inside went for six bucks inside but we could buy them under the overpass for a dollar. HA! Money in my pocket, thankyouverymuch). We avoided the cotton candy with the Monster Jam truck hat attached, the jiggling cheese and nachos, their seven dollar cups of BudLight and the even the lemonade in the commemorative plastic cup mug. We said no the light sabers, the plastic checkered flags on sticks and the pink monster truck tee I had my eye on. We climbed five flights of mammoth stadium stairs to the balcony where the cheapest of cheap seats lived, sat down in someone else's (since there were people in ours) and set to flame the purest of motivators for being there - the monster truck love that makes it's home in our hearts. It. Was. Awesome.
The boy sat with rapt attention on Kris' knee the entire time, little purple earplugs poking out of his three year old head. I had dressed him in his monster truck turtleneck and monster truck sweatshirt and filled the back seat with monster truck cars to fill the hour and half drive. We hadn't told him what we were doing just that we had a surprise for him. He literally did not move his eyeballs off the track for two hours (N.B. The more he loves something the less he moves. He once sat like a stone behind the wheel of a fire truck, literally paralyzed with the enormity of his excitement). After leaving the Alamodome we asked if he had fun and he said, "That was a really good surprise for me!"
I challenge you to watch these videos and NOT become enchanted by monster trucks. I challenge you.
2 comments:
OH MY GOD, you had FUN at a Monster Truck Jam? Hell has officially frozen over! Does this mean that the next time you guys visit we can go to the Seekonk Speedway for a race? The boy would wet his pants watching those cars crash into eachother! The best part? It's cheap!
-- Aunty Carla a.k.a. Carla
I think the Fuzzah would love it! A baseball game might be fun too.
Post a Comment