Saturday, August 14, 2010

Camping in the Rocky Mountains

You know, I was a bit worried about taking a 16 hour drive with a two year old to then go sleep outside on the ground with the bugs for a couple of days. But as I was hoping, it turned out to be absolutely amazing. How many times do you get to sleep under the stars (during the Perseid Meteor Showers no less) in the Rocky Mountains with your family? I would guess a handful or two if you lived close, much less if you lived far, and all the time if you were the mountainy type who thinks Bear Grylls is a bit fancy. 

The weather was amazing - so cool - and even though it rained we were nice and dry in our tent. The first night we were there I actually got to see about four shooting stars in the sky. I probably could have seen more if I was able to tough it out in the cold, the night was so clear and dark - millions of stars, but even though I'm from Boston I've turned into a bit of a weenie when it comes to temperatures below 60ยบ. 

Augie kept busy exploring our secret camp spot with his cousin, throwing rocks into the water , playing frisbee and going on nature walks. I took a ton of photos because I decided to finally read my camera manual - I mean really, what better spot to take test shots for each chapter? I didn't finish but got pretty deep... man that was some dry technical toast. Anyways, here's my edited boatload of photos.


Thank you Andy for the fine cooking, the warm fire and the spot, Jen for the exceptionally fancy driving, the good company, tasty breakfast & s'mores and Tendai for all the pirate fun, your curiosity and energy and for being such a good cousin to Augie. We love you all and look forward to seeing you soon!

2 comments:

The Maltese Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Maltese Kat said...

This looks incredible and sounds so amazing! I am so glad you had a good time, it looks absolutly beautiful. Love your "type who thinks Bear Grylls is a bit fancy" - that made me laugh so hard. To think that when I moved out to CA in '96 I was a rock climbing, mountaineering, renegade camping fool is laughable. Oh how the times have changed; I now like king size feather beds with crisp white sheets and room service!
Sounds like a great vacation - thanks for sharing.
xo - Katie

PS - the comment above was mine, I deleted it because of spelling error (how embarassing).