Augie woke up from his nap this afternoon, bounded into the office where I was futzing with manual modes of my camera, grabbed something off the desk and ran back out. Since I only saw it out of the corner of my eye, I wasn't sure, but I thought he may have taken Kris' sharp and pointy mechanical pencil. I called him back over to search him and sure enough, he had it. (August thinks everything on Kris' desk is just magical by the way.)
"Augie, you know you're not supposed to have that pencil, right?", and of course just keep happily snapping pictures in the low yellow light of the afternoon - delighted to now be trying out the new camera settings on one of my favorite subjects.
He says, "Ooooh yeah...." like he's fondly remembering the dozen or so previous times the pencil was taken away. "See? See?" As he starts putting his fingers all over the pointy sharp end. The same pointy end that we've tried to impress upon him as the "owie" end.
"Mmmmhmmm," I said, "that's right, it's sharp." *** snap, snap snap ***
| From June.2 |
"Oh yeah, sharp. See?" **snap, snap** It's an OWIE! OWIE! OW in the head! OW in the eye! OWIE!", as he starts playfully jabbing himself and parroting back our cautions.
| From June.2 |
"Augie no, it's sharp. May I please have the pencil?" He stops and looks at me.
"Oh nooooooo, sharp," he says, and I'm thinking he's all done now, but no..."OWIE in the eye!" giving himself one more playful jab then drops the pencil in my lap.
| From June.2 |
Sometimes I don't know who gets the lesson, me or him. At the very least, we take turns.
No comments:
Post a Comment