Friday, March 26, 2010

Word of the Day: Share


August and I went out to Green Gate Farms this afternoon to check out their vegetable stand with my friend Elizabeth and her kids. I am contemplating buying a CSA share from them or Johnson's Backyard Garden this year. I can do alternating weeks, which might be the perfect compromise since we all get really sick of zucchini after a while. Well for that matter, who doesn't get zick of zucchini in the middle of summer? Last year when I had a farm share, the weekly box was OK but I missed being able to pick my out my own food. It almost became oppressive for me. No broccoli? I mean come on.

But well, it's spring and I am gripped by sunny optimism and the sure delight of weekly trips out to the farm to visit their teeny tiny baby goats munching on spring grass and their BIG, HUGE PIGGIES mucking about in their muddy pens. August had an absolute ball out there too - so many tractors, so little time. And while we'll plant a bit out in our yard this year, I'd like for him to see and feel where food really comes from. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you see it, out yard is very shady, great for sitting and playing, bad for growing vegetables. So anyways, still thinking on what to do, but am feeling very energized by our trip out to the farm.

Oh! I bought some brussels sprouts while we were there. I am going to roast them tonight with a little olive oil then toss with lemon juice and capers.

State of Texas Factoid of the Day: Did you know the Texas state bird is the Mockingbird? Hmmm, me neither. In California we had birds that could mimic the exact sounds of a car alarm going off. Really sad and funny all at the same time. I think they were called Humming-Don'tYouDareStealMyCivic-Birds.




1 comment:

The Maltese Kat said...

Raquel- I did a CSA box for a while and am thinking about starting it again, it was worth it, but you are right about the zucchini in the summer - woah. I must have made everything under the sun with those darn things! They were good at first but then just started taking over room in the box.
Keep me updated on if you do it and what you have been getting...
xo - Katie