Monday, January 25, 2010

Where's my drawin' pencil?

From January

Well, it seems the end is finally here. My camera has finally eaten itself, blown up, self-destructed, taken that long walk off a short pier. It's dead. I am now fully entrenched in making myself crazy(er) in my search for a new one. Oh CNet, I hardly knew ye... You see, what I've found is that what I loved about my camera no longer exists.

My camera:
• AA batteries (the rechargeables worked so nicely - well, until the sensor died rendering the whole hulking piece of junk useless. I called a camera store, it would be about $150-$200 to repair.)
• manual functions
• 7.1 MP, more than enough for what I needed
• recorded movies
• $150

So now I am left wondering should I go dslr? Should I get another point and shoot? Should I just take up painting or drawing and hand-render images? Should I just paint pretty word pictures for you? I love taking photos and have been saving up for a dslr for some time but a dslr is great for some things, not so great for others.

What do you use? Do you love it? What do you wish you had?







2 comments:

pomegranate seed said...

hmmm. sometimes it's frustrating that camera companies these days try to manufacture cameras that last just long enough that you're not under warrany, but not last forever so you'll buy a new one... seems like a conspiracy if you ask me. anyway, i had my point & shoot canon digital die on me (got a bit of dust in the mechanism and stopped opening and closing - rendering it useless). so i vowed not to buy one that had that type of opening again - which left me with a little digital point & shoot nikon cool pix (blue, flat, easy point & shoot digital - takes movies)... bought solely for the cheapness, ease to use, and slim ability to be put in my pocket (which means i'm more apt to use it)... however, it's clunky with everything else (recharger, the way it uploads, etc.) i guess you just have to think of what you'll use it *most* for, and go from there - make that your priority for the decision making, and i'm sure you'll do fine! for me, it was affordability, no 'open-shut' lens (the canon type), and the ability to slip it in my pocket... good luck :)

The Maltese Kat said...

I have a canon power shot elph only 6.0 mps and bought it in 2006 and it is still kickin - manual settings and video are a plus and this camera has them. I have been using a new canon power shot for work events (got it from the office and it is 10 mps and SUCKS!).
Good luck on your seach, I have been looking to replace mine for that sad day when it dies - I am not looking forward to it. Let me know what you find and how it works.

-Katie