Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Legend of Bubble Beard

We've been waiting patiently for August to speak. His doctor suggested a visit or two to the speech therapist in the next few months might be helpful. So far he says Dada, shoes, choo choo, sometimes doggy (pronounced doogee), hi (just started that one along with the waving), and exclaiming Oooooooohhhhh! when I put blueberries on his tray. He shakes his head for no and is learning the shake for yes. He understands what we're saying to him but he doesn't really try to say it back. We're not worried, just eagerly awaiting fanciful conversations with him. We've tried working on sounds, working on picture associations, talking non-stop with him, enunciating - and nuthin'.

The night after I brought him home from his 18 month check up we were paging through his book of trucks for the umpteenth time when he put his finger down and said, "DUMP TRUCK". Clear as bell with the hard D, T and K and a perfectly popped P. Dump truck. I looked at him, he looked at me and I could hardly believe my ears. He wouldn't say it again so I questioned if I really even heard it. He just went on paging through the book calling everything dadas. Business as usual.

The next morning a big truck is going by, Kris is getting coffee and the boy is standing on the living room chair looking out the window. He points and exclaims, "DUMP TRUCK!" Again, no mistaking what he said and what he meant at all.  What the heck is going on? Well, we're not sure. Either he's about to start talking a blue streak any minute or we'll be waiting a lot longer. Thoughts?

I realize these photos have nothing to do with dump trucks but they are so cute. No story really other than he was enjoying dipping his face into the bubbles to get a good bubble beard going. Ahhh, what fun!

From bath
From bath
From bath


3 comments:

David Petrie said...

So much blogging so fast.

If when he chooses to speak he's pronouncing clearly, he's probably fine.

Jonah didn't speak until after he was two, and still sees a speech therapist at 9. I'm well versed in this -- don't worry yet.

Is it a case where he just can't get a word in edgewise?

Raquel said...

Hardee HAR HAR Mr.Petrie. Why you've hit the nail on the head. Why...you...I oughtta.... ; )

The boy is actually quite a chatterbox it's just that right now it sounds like one of those disjointed dream monologues where you THINK you're speaking, but you're really just mumbling in your sleep.

I'm with you though, not so worried right now either, but certainly something to try and work on. I'm very interested to know how speech therapy works though.

Anonymous said...

August, DUMP TRUCK is our fav word in the entire English language today. :-)
Hugs and Smackers,
Grams and Gramps
xoxoxoxo