Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kite Festival

Today was perfect kite flying weather at the Zilker Kite Festival: sixties, winds 10-12 mph, sunny with bright blue sky. Perfect. I had a kite a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find the darned thing anywhere. Fuzz and I ended up buying one today at the park. It was so cool, a bright hot pink octopus with long polka-dotted tentacles and googly eyes.

The second I threw that baby up in the air (the kite, not the ACTUAL baby...) it caught the wind and climbed higher and higher. There were hundreds of kites flying and it was just spectacular seeing my little octopus flying right up there with the rest. Some seemed like they were up at least a mile and others swooped close to the grass. Some were icky mylar advertisements for Highschool Musical and others were handmade ships with multicolored sails. Some got caught in trees and others had knotted tails and tangled strings. But what fun, even if all you got was a few minutes of perfect kiting against a bright blue sky, you had a fantastic time.

No comments: