Thursday, February 5, 2009

Paper or plastic?



Is he getting big or is it me? He must be getting bigger, that's what little things that grow do. Such a man about town these days. He makes friends with people all the time in the grocery store. Funny how many people I end up talking with in all sorts of places because of him. BC - (before child) I was becoming ever more disturbed at how people seemed so stand-offish and introverted. People would rather wait for you to make your selections and move your cart rather than say excuse me. I'd see them back up and go down a different aisle entirely until I was done selecting my ziplock of choice. Or if they did say excuse me, it would be so soft and without looking that you'd almost think you heard someone dainty sneeze. I blamed it on San Francisco and the greater California area but sadly it seemed to happen everywhere. Was it me?

Children however seem to carry a natural antidote, anti-venom whatever you want to call it, for the hermits, agoraphobics and IM'ers among us. One time I caught this guy about 30, real tough looking tattooed, pretty standard gang wear playing peekaboo with August over a pile of broccoli. He smiled all his gold teeth at him and Gus just kept going for it. It was love. Today he made friends with a cat lady at the avocados and an army guy at the bulk bins. He even had the maintenance guy following him around because Gus liked it when he swept. Oh the giggles and pointing... My boy, the great equalizer and lover of life. Rock on with your bad self little guy.

No comments: