Sunday, October 26, 2008

Gruene, but you say it like 'green'

From Texas Clay Festival - Gruene, Tx.


My quilt instructor mentioned that she and her daughter were heading off to the Texas Clay Festival in Gruene after class. A couple of people in the class seemed to know about it and gushed over how sweet the town was.

"Have you eaten at the Gristmill? Lovely view of the Guadalupe River, huh?"

"Oh we just love the antiques markets."

"Have you been in that quilt shop down there - what it called? Quilt Haus, yes - that's it."

"Sure is a beautiful day for it. Couldn't ask for nicer weather."

I was sold. I got home at about 1pm and we were in the car headed down to Gruene by 2. The festival was outdoors and there had to be at least 25 different potters there with booths. They had all sorts of demos and a raku pit - but we didn't really get to see much of that. We mostly just browsed the stalls and took in all the wonderful pottery. Kind of got me thinking that I might try and look around for a studio to do a little work. We had a great lunch over at the Gristmill - and yes, it was lovely. We almost stayed for The Derailers but decided we might come down for music another time. Fuzz was getting a bit antsy and we really weren't prepared for honky-tonkin. So we just filled up on gas - $2.15/gallon but down they road they were selling it for $2.09, and headed home. I may have lost my 401k, but at least I've got good cheap gas. Great.

As for my quilting, I'm almost done. I have about half of it quilted and then I just need to do the binding. I'm hoping to have it done this week but it might take a little longer as I need to make Gus his Fuzzy Bee costume for Halloween and I have no idea what kind of havoc 'fun fur' is going to wreak on my machine. Hope I don't end up with a Chewbacca under my bobbin.

Here are more photos of Gus at the clay festival.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi August, Glad your enjoying all the outdoor art--Grams can't wait til your old enough to send her your crayon and paint creations--I'll for sure have to get another frig so I can display them all!
Hugs,
Grams
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo