

Yesterday August and I took a gray day opportunity to visit the Austin City-wide Garage Sale. It's really more of an antique/collectibles market than a garage sale per se. There were lots of tables full of linens by the pound - tableclothes, pillowcases and quilts OH MY! and the prices were Tex-tastic. I found these two full size quilts over in one of the heaps. I had been keeping my eye peeled for pleasant pre-loved grassy picnic blankets - for $7 these fit the bill quite nicely. And while not yet a seasoned bargain linen shopper, August did end up having a lot of fun playing king of the mountain in amongst all the quilts. I nestled him into a mound in order to shake out a couple of the larger blankets and when I looked back all I could see were his feet. I peeled the blankets off him and he was laughing his little Elmo diaper off. What a prankster.

On the other side of the room, I spied with my little eye a beautiful oil painting done by Josephine Mahaffey, 1903-1982. The dealer told me that she was a local from San Antonio but made company with well-known beat artists painting most of her work in the 1940's-60's. She mixed her own colors from pigment and almost all of her paintings have this incredible exuberance to them. The dealer had several of her paintings and told me that he acquired her estate in an auction in the 90's. He's been selling them off ever since. While this is not the painting I was most drawn to, it is an apt example of her work. Nice huh? I'll be thinking about this one for a bit, keeping it tucked away in the 'things that make me happy' pile.
No comments:
Post a Comment